Thursday, October 10, 2024

Should lawyers be on TikTok?

Do I even need to ask this question? Apparently so. And, generally, the answer to this question is yes. At least it’s been a big yes for me. But I’m a good talker. I have deep reservoirs of…information. That’s a charitable assessment, but I do provide good information. Or so I’m told. After all, I have done TV legal commentary quite a bit over the years. So, I know what to say and what not to say.

Whether you should be on TikTok is a question only you can answer. All I can do is tell you why I am on TikTok and what I think the benefits are to me. 

1.     TikTok allows me to provide useful information to a much wider audience in a way that’s nonthreatening.

 Lawyers scare people. This should come as no shock to most of us. Maybe we don’t realize we are scary, but we can at least concede the point that we know lawyers are scary. Anything I can do to make myself more approachable and more helpful is something I want to do. Most people think lawyers are either maladjusted jerks who rip people apart (I’ve met some of those from other states) or snobs on their way to the next cocktail party (there are plenty of those, too).

 But I believe lawyers are engaging, vibrant people. Or at least they can be.

 Many experts claim lawyers should do all they can to get on TikTok due to the exponential growth of lawyers on TikTok.

2.     If you do it right, TikTok brings in clients—lots of good ones in my experience.

 Some lawyers adopt a persona on TikTok. For example, there’s one guy who dances around in front of a gilded throne of a chair and uses voiceover. He has a great reputation as a lawyer, and he has a huge following. That’s not for me, but good for him. I typically record most of my videos (1-2 a day) in the car right before I go to the gym. That’s usually midday or around six PM if I go in the evening.

 The clients started calling within a few weeks after I started posting PI/WC, Social Security disability, medical malpractice (a subcategory of PI), and other legal related issues. Recently I brought in a gigantic case due solely to TikTok.

 I’ve had videos where I’ve gotten 20,000 and 40,000 views with thousands of comments. My followers are about 3,200 plus. And they grow all the time. It’s only just begun, and I really enjoy doing it.

 Honestly, my practice is blowing up lately, and I think that’s largely due to my social media presence on TikTok.

3.   TikTok is fun and friendly.

Some people will mock you, and that’s fine. “Haters gonna hate” as the expression goes. But I don’t pay those people any mind. I don’t hold back on TikTok. I’m totally my unbridled, authentic self, and people like it. They appreciate the candor and authenticity. They also know I love my clients, and that I’m passionate about fighting for them.

Basically, I hate bullies and fight for people I think are treated unfairly. That’s the thrust of a lot of what I say.

But what I really believe is clients have a powerful story to tell. And my job is to find those stories and help the clients to be able to show the truth of their struggle.

 I talk a ton about compelling narratives on TikTok because I’m a litigator. I’ve also published fiction and nonfiction as well as been a law school essay consultant (essay doctor, really), so I am big on finding the narrative in clients’ cases. I believe in helping clients tell their truth. So, I talk a ton about such things. In my opinion, it really matters.

I hope you will check me out on TikTok. Find me here.

No comments:

Post a Comment