Wednesday, October 16, 2024

Can Lawyers Substantively Connect With Potential Clients Through Social Media?

I believe the answer to that question is yes. In my experience it’s been that way. Social media provides an inexpensive, highly visible way to provide useful information with value to people. Notice how I didn’t say get clients as that is not the objective. The objectives are to 1) provide useful information, 2) show who you are, and 3) help someone in a meaningful way. And you don’t have to interact with someone directly to do that. You can provide value just by discussing what you know. It’s really that easy—and that difficult.

 Social media applications come and go, but it is safe to say that the following are the mainstays of social media: 1) Facebook (part of Meta now), 2) Instagram (owned by Meta), 3) TikTok, and 4) Twitter (now X).

 Maybe it is my age, but I want substance. I don’t want lawyers yelling at me (on television, or on gawdy billboards where some male lawyers change hair colors like underwear, or in popup windows that follow my cursor around the screen) about “justice for you,” “I’ll get you justice,” and “I believe in justice.” My initial thought usually is STFU you cheap, ambulance chaser. And of course you believe in justice. Do you really need to say it?

It may sound harsh, I know, but I am a lawyer. It’s my job to critique my own profession and do my best to improve it. Those are cheap slogans when stated that way, and a lawyer cannot promise those things. I’m sorry, but a few hundred dollars in a class action lawsuit isn’t justice. Far from it. But that’s just one example. Neither is a quick, lowball settlement where the lawyer folds like a cheap suit because he or she is afraid to fight back.

 While you cannot promise justice, you can promise to fight hard for your clients and do the best you can. But for people you may never meet or who may never become your clients, you can provide them useful information.

This is called “awareness marketing,” I believe it’s the most important kind. And what is it based on? Providing value.

 Isn’t social media just a waste of time for lawyers and just another thing to keep up with? And it yields no tangible results?

 As most any lawyer will tell you regarding an answer, “it depends.” What kind of work are you putting into it? Do you post consistently on your chosen platform regularly? Is your message consistent? What practice areas are you focusing on?

 All these questions must be contemplated and answered before you post. But don’t overthink it. Practice it. Be yourself. All that stuff everyone tells you all the time. It matters.

 Consistency is the most important part of it. By that I mean the routine of it. You do it over and over. Eventually you start to build up a large body of substantive content. If you discuss what you know and what you believe in, it will provide information that helps people. Believe me. I’ve seen it. I get several messages each week in Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok asking questions, thanking me for my content, and making suggestions.

 All of this sounds great, but can you give me specifics?

 While I cannot divulge client information, I can say I have gotten two major litigation cases in the last two years (one very recently). After twenty years as a lawyer, I do not see cases as a “case of a lifetime” because that diminishes other cases. I believe all cases are big cases. Every case is someone’s “case of a lifetime.” But these have the potential to be very large settlements. We shall see as the law is fickle.

 Let me get more specific: On TikTok alone I have brought in since March over 20 SSI/SSDI cases, 1 huge litigation case, and leads on several other potential cases. This is from videos that are maybe 2-3 minutes recorded at my desk, in my car, in a random room somewhere all done on-the-fly and unscripted. Now, I’m a talker. I’ve done dozens of TV interviews over the years, so that helps. And I have done this for so long that I can speak clearly and succinctly on my primary topics: PI/WC, the nature of the legal profession, SSI/SSDI, medical malpractice, litigation in general, and various political issues.

 Can I just speak my mind?

 Yes, I think you can. In fact, that’s preferable. You must remember that most people see lawyers as canned, rehearsed, and boring. I say exactly what I want, and I make no bones about my beliefs. It works for me because (I think) people know I care. Although I have various viewpoints and beliefs, they know I care about my clients first and foremost as people. And I have as my goal helping them. Quite frankly, it’s a privilege to use my education, experience, and life advantages to help people.

 Lawyers are interesting people contrary to what many people think. Social media can showcase that and make the lawyer more “likable,” which, if done for long enough consistently enough, will bring in clients—the kind of clients who you want, who want you, and who need you.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Can Lawyers Substantively Connect With Potential Clients Through Social Media?

I believe the answer to that question is yes. In my experience it’s been that way. Social media provides an inexpensive, highly visible way ...